Jan 20, 2009

Critical Thinking Blog #1

Part 1

Critical thinking is a reflective way of thinking that is focused on deciding what to do or believe. Critical thinking uses the processes of: analyzing, applying, and evaluating. A situation where I thought critically was when I had to decided if I should stay at FIDM or move back home. After a year at FIDM I felt that the school wasn’t for me and wanted to attend a four year school. With having my mind set on FIDM all through out high school I did not do the requirements necessary for me to attend a four year school right away so if I moved back home I would have to go to a Jr. college first. The thought of moving back home scared me, I loved living in San Diego but living in Yuba City I dreaded, I waited so long to get out of that town and then I found myself thinking about moving back in order to get a better education. While I compared the pros and cons I finally decided that in order to achieve my dreams and what I want out of life its best to move back home, attend a Jr. college, transfer to a four year and see where my career takes me (which hopefully is back to Southern Cali). A situation when I do not think critically is when I shop. While shopping I tend to see what I like and want it. I do not need these things I buy, but if I see it and like it then ill just buy it without even thinking.

Part 2

While watching my favorite show One Tree Hill I observed one character who over the past season had to think critically. The character on the T.V. show is Brooke Davis. Brooke was from a small town who had dreams of owning her own clothing line. After high school she moved to LA to pursue her dreams and ended up becoming very successful. After fours years of being a successful fashion designer Brooke went back home to One Tree Hill for a visit. While visiting she felt that this was the place she belonged not LA, so she decided to open a shop in One Tree Hill against her manager's (who was her mother) will. Problems arose from disobeying her mother so Brooke decided that her mom could have the company she worked long and hard for because it was not worth the pain her mother put her thru. I believe Brooke in the end made the right choice because in the long run she is happy now and is a stronger individual.
When a situation causes pain and hurt, is it worth giving up your dream and your future in order to not feel that pain again?

No comments: