Feb 6, 2009

Pre-Reading Blog #2

Growing up TV did not play a role in my childhood. My parents didn’t want me to watch TV because they thought it took away from experiencing the world hands on. Occasionally when I was aloud to watch TV when I was a child I did not watch cartoons like most children instead I watched Lifetime movies with my mom and sports with my dad. In contrast of watching TV for pleasure, during middle school and high school teachers started playing movies or part of TV shows to correlate with what was being taught. Now in college I do believe that TV was a good educational tool. Being more of a visual learner it is hard for me to learn subjects while just being straight lectured about them. For me a movie helps me relate to the subject more and also helps me understand what the teacher is trying to teach. If students are not visual learners then the time to watch TV or a movie in class relating to the subject being taught is a nice “getaway” from the pattern of worksheets, lectures, and notes. In conclusion, is television a good learning tool for all students, not just the visual learners?

No comments: